Welcome to Infoguide.com.ng, today our Dear Sis Clara will be teaching us how to produce a multipurpose liquid soup, which can be use for both bathing and washing.
Multi-purpose/bathing liquid soap as the name implies, is soap in liquid form. It is a cleansing agent and it is a multi-purpose cleanser. Liquid soap is also known as liquid detergent. It has the ability to emulsify oils and hold dirt in suspension.
Liquid soap share same properties with solid detergents. A detergent is expected to consist of the surface-active agents or ingredients which are the essential ingredients and subsidiary ingredients (supplementing ingredients).
In all detergents, the surface-active agent forms the most important part of the detergent. All the ingredients needed in the production of liquid soap (liquid detergents) will be listed below.
NOTE: In this lesson we hope to learn a multi-purpose/bathing liquid soap. That is, one that can be used for basic cleaning such as washing of plates, cars, laundry, bathing, etc.
CHEMICALS FOR LIQUID/ BATHING SOAP PRODUCTION AND THEIR FUNCTIONS
1. Water: It is one of the primary ingredients in liquid soap production. Water allows the soap to maintain a liquid form rather than a dry, solid form like bar or powdered soap.
2. Nitrosol: It is a thickening agent.
3. Caustic Soda: Use as a base and as a stain remover.
4. Soda Ash: It is use to regulates the Caustic Soda. It is also a cleansing agent and water softener.
5. Texapon: It is a surfactant, an agent that reduces the surface tension of liquids so that the liquid spreads out, rather than collecting in droplets that allow non-polar material like oils to be dissolved in water. It is also a foaming and cleansing agent in soaps and detergents.
6. Sulfonic Acid: It neutralizes the basic effect of Caustic Soda. It is also a foaming agent.
7. SLS or Rice (Sodium Laureth Sulfate): This is a common detergent in liquid soaps. It works by dissolving oil and dirt to clean them from your hands. SLS (Rice) is also an emulsifier that helps to combine all the ingredients in the soap. It is a foam booster.
8. Formalin: Basically, it is a preservative agent in liquid soap.
19. Fragrance (Perfume): To give good and pleasant scent to your soap. (E.g. Lemongrass, Jasmine, Strawberry, etc.)
10. Colour: To add colour to your production. (E.g. Green, Purple, Yellow, Gold, Blue, etc.)
11. Industrial Salt: To retain and preserve original colour of fabrics in laundry. It also acts as a water softener.
12. Glycerine: It can be used as a cleanser, spots treatment and moisturizer when few drops are added to liquid soap use for bathing. It also acts as an anti-ageing agent.
13. Vitamin E: To help repair, smooth and improve the appearance of damaged skin. It helps fight against free radicals and other environmental damaging effects. It is an awesome antioxidant and work wonders when it comes to hair, skin and nails.
14. IPA (Isopropanol): This is a colourless, flammable chemical compound with strong odour, it contains an antiseptic effect which gives Antiseptic the ability to kill bacteria and fungi especially when used for wound cleansing.
15. Pine Oil: Pine oil is gotten from pine tree and is extracted from the cone, twigs and needles of the pine tree. When the oil is diluted in water it forms a cloudy liquid (this also happen when you use a drop of Antiseptic in water). Pine oil has an Antiseptic and disinfectant substance and a pleasant odour.
16. Menthol: Antiseptic in nature, in addition to its usual cooling effect, it gives a refreshing sensation to the skin.
1. Bucket for fetching water
2. Some smaller plastic bowls for mixing materials
3. Table spoon for measuring chemicals
4. Hand gloves/Nose mask
5. Wooden turning stick
6. Big bowl (20-40 litres) for mixing contents
7. Containers and labels for packaging
STEPS ON HOW TO PRODUCE MULTIPURPOSE LIQUID SOAP (20 LITRES)
1. DISH WASHING/LAUNDRY LIQUID SOAP
NOTE: Before you start your production, dilute your Caustic Soda (1-2 table spoon), SLS (Rice) and Soda Ash in separate bowls for 5 minutes.
1. Pour 15 litres of Water in your mixing bowl/container.
2. Add Nitrosol and stir very well
3. Add your diluted Caustic Soda and stir very well.
4. Mix Texapon and Sulfonic Acid, add and stir very well.
5. Add your diluted SLS (Rice) and Soda Ash and stir very well.
6. Add Industrial Salt and stir very well.
7. Add Formalin and stir very well.
8. Add Perfume (Fragrance) of your choice (Lemongrass, Jasmine, Strawberry, etc.) and stir very well.
9. Dilute the Colour of your choice with little water (Green, Purple, pink, Yellow, Gold, Blue, etc.), add to content and stir very well.
2. ORDINARY BATHING LIQUID SOAP
Before you go through processes 7 to 10 above:
Add Glycerine and Vitamin E and stir very well.
3. ANTISEPTICE BATHING SOAP
After you add the Glycerine and Vitamin E in number 2 above, before you go through processes 7 to 10 above:
1. Add IPA and stir very well
2. Add Pine Oil and stir very well
3. Add Menthol and stir very well