Bitter leaf otherwise known as Vernonia amygdalina Delile (VA), family Compositae is a plant that is consumed locally as food and serves important ethnomedicinal uses and curative purposes. The health benefits of bitterleaf are numerous.
Vitamins in Bitter leaf includes; Vit. A, Vit. C, Vit. E, Vit.B1 and Vit.B2. Young, immature leaves of Bitter Leaf contain relatively high levels of cyanide and some other anti-nutrients. It should be properly cooked, squeeze-washed to remove these anti nutrients.
It is rather advisable to consume only mature leaves. Some of the health benefits of bitterleaf include:
- It helps relieve constipation and improve metabolism function.
- It protects the body from radical injuries,and protects the liver against oxidation damage.
- According to research, bitter leaf extract inhibits abnormal cell growth of cancer or delay its early stage.
- Its helps remedy amoebic dysentery caused by Entamoeba histolytica.
- Bitter leaf is effective against bacterial infections and diseases.
- It helps to reduce blood sugar.